Tuesday, November 30, 2010

West Point - Bitter Sweet - Ken's Class Ring

All of us in front of West Point Class Ring Case
We all agreed that the best part of the trip was the return to West Point, but we also all agreed it was probably the most emotional part as well. The drive up was kind of rainy but when we arrived at West Point up in the mountains, it stopped.  Everyone was on leave so it was very quiet there...which was kind of nice.  We spent a lot of time just sharing memories about Ken and what we knew about West Point.  I was glad Kirstin was there to experience this as well as this was her first trip to West Point.

Holding Ken's Ring
For those who do not know, my brother Ken attending the Army Academy in New York.  His classmates, called the F4 Fighting Frogs had recently returned to West Point for a reunion.  While there, they participating in a ceremony to pray for those in their troop who had past away, one being my brother.  During this same time, one of the classmates and very good friend of Ken's, recognized what I will call the "wall of rings".  In this large display, there is a West Point classring represented for each graduating class.  The ring that is displayed was given in memory of a cadet who graduated or simply given by a family.  Jerry, Ken's friend, realized that the class of 1990, which is my brother's class, had only a display ring.  Well, he contacted my family seeing how we felt about giving Ken's ring to the "wall of rings".  Long story short....Mom, Sara, Dad, and myself all agreed it would be something Ken would want and be honored to do.


Kim and Wayne overlooking Hudson River
So being I was going to New York, it was decided that Wayne and I would take the ring up.  While West Point was mostly closed for the holiday weekend, a wonderful lady named Elaine and her husband met us to accept the ring.  Elaine's husband graduated from West Point and her son is currently a plebe, freshmen, there as well. 

The gang overlooking Hudson River at West Point
Elaine was wonderful and gave us a tour of the new library before we reached the area where the rings are displayed.  It was very emotional seeing that "wall of rings" and hard to turn over Ken's ring.....but I am so happy to know that I can take my kids back to West Point some day and show them where Ken went to school as well as show them his ring from West Point- a place that was so much a part of the person he was.  There were lots of tears shed by all......but memorable in it's own way.

I received a note from Ken's friend Todd not long after this event and he said, "Ken would be proud!".  I know he is too!  At least I hope so.....

Ken's room.  Right side of this portion, top floor, middle
room with air condition unit sticking out.
James was a book of knowledge as well and showed us where Ken's room was when we were visiting the chapel.  James had shown Ken pictures of a trip he had taken to West Point and Ken showed him where his room/dorm was.  That was neat to see as well.  We took many pictures on the landing overlooking the Hudson, just as we had done so many times with Ken.  Memories from the past and new memories made....none forgotten!!!!

Elaine accepting ring...bad picture of me crying but Connie
said it is important as it was emotional, to keep these
memories.  I agree (even though i look horrible)
Wayne and I are already talking plans to return next year for a football game and showing the kids a part of Ken's world.....West Point.  The lady, Elaine, was also crying at the time as her husband told Wayne and I Ken's ring is now with a group of honorable men....one of which he is!

None of us look too wonderul in these pictures as they were taken after emotions were flying and lots of crying.  But I still wanted to share them....Funny part was that while I was trying to speak to Elaine and give her the ring, I could imaging Ken saying, "Stop crying!" and laughing......I read once where he wrote that I was "his emotional sister".....I guess he is right....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment