Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving in New York!


Connie and Dennis preparing turkey for Thanksgiving
 Happy Thanksgiving from New York!  Wayne and I, along with Kirstin's boyfriend, Nate, took a quick trip to New York City over Thanksgiving break.  We had a super time thanks to my relatives, Dennis, Connie, and the boys!!! It was so nice to spend time with them on this "whirlwind" trip.  For those who do not know, Kirstin has been living with them the past month and a half as she is student teaching outside New York City.  She is loving it and fits right in the family.....which was great to see! 

We did so many things on this trip that I thought I would make a new post for each day's adventures.  So look out, there are many more to come! :)

Connie, William, Kim, and Joseph at Soup Kitchen in Bronx
I will start with Thanksgiving day.  We arrive at the Deutmeyer's Wednesday night and tucked in for a busy day ahead.  Wayne went golfing - had to force him - yeah right - with Dennis to the Westchester Country Club for a golf benefit.  They left early and had a great morning of golf.  Not sure how they did but they came back very happy.....not so much due to the score though if you get my drift. 

Kirstin and Nate ventured into the city to see the Macy's Day Parade.  Wayne and I had already seen it as we have been to NYC over Thanksgiving a few years ago with Elyse and Alex.  They heading into the city very early and had a great morning enjoying the parade.

Yankee Stadium replica made of twigs
I woke up and had a very rewarding experience of helping volunteer in a soup kitchen in the Bronx of NYC.  We were on the "set up" so Connie, William, Joseph, and myself arrived ready to help in any way we could.  There were so many generous people there volunteering that it was almost overwhelming.  William, Joe, and I worked on rolling silverware into napkins.  Joseph made it like a race to see how far ahead of me he could get......I did enclose a picture of the four of us when we were done.  When we left, people were already outside waiting to get in and have a nice, warm meal.  It was a wonderful feeling knowing that you were part of something so meaningful to them.....even if I only wrapped silverware.  Thanks Connie for letting me share that experience.

Thanksgiving at Deutmeyers
We then ventured to the New York Botanical Gardens to see their train spectacular.  This was very neat as everything there was a replica of something in the city and made of tree twigs.  Very impressive!  The bridges were amazing! 

Everyone returned home for a great Thanksgiving meal before resting up for the Jets game!  Read about that in the next post!  Go Jets!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment