Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Little "R and R" in the Dominican Republic


Wayne and I had a chance to take our usual "February" trip again once basketball season was over.  We returned to the Dominican Republic but this time we went to the Punta Cana.  It turned out to be a beautiful place, and we had a wonderful time!!!! The weather was perfect, 85-88 everyday with sunshine and a breeze.  The food was fabulous, lobster for Wayne whenever he wanted it and many places to eat.  The service was outstanding, room butlers named Henry and Alexander spoiled us rotten!  The beach was beautiful and not crowded at all (which was my favorite place to be).  And the golf course was good, so I heard from Wayne as he golfed every day at 6:45 in the morning while I slept in.  It truly was paradise and we loved every minute of it. 


 
We met many wonderful people from around the world.  My favorite was an older couple from England.  We were sitting in one of the lounge areas at the resort and this older couple needed a place to sit as it was crowded.  They asked if they could join us, and of course we said yes.  I will just call her Mary Poppins....that is what she seemed like to me, only a more modern version, but she had that wonderful dialect.  They had to have been 70+ years and took a 7 (or 11, I can't remember) flight to spend 2 weeks in the Dominican.  Without going into details, it was like they were both angels that were meant to speak to me as they shared life's secrets, the importance of family and celebrating every day, and they told me that even though I have had sadness in my life lately, everything was going to be alright.  It was as if they knew things about Wayne and I before we told them.  Freaky yes.....but wonderful.....it still makes me teary eyed!  We loved our time chatting that evening and saw "Mary Poppins and her husband" many times the next few days.  The morning they were leaving, they saw us eating breakfast.  "Mary Poppins" came over to us, gave me two "English" kisses on the cheeks and said to "have a good life and be happy because that is what life is about, even though there is sometimes sadness. And that we will cross paths again someday".   They were so sweet.

Now I have had two "special" meetings in my life with people like this.  Some of you know about my little meeting with an man from Ireland when Wayne and I were in Hilton Head  years ago who had a 3 hour talk with Wayne and I about what is important in life etc.  I still remember him pointing at me as we crossed paths the next day at the airport in Savannah and he just point at me, as he boarded his plane, and said, "Remember......".  You may think I am crazy but I think that was one of those meetings that was "meant to be"....as was my run-in with "Mary Poppins".  :) 

Dominican was fabulous and we will return again!  Great memories!!!!

View from our room of ocean and beach


1 comment: