Sunday, October 3, 2010

Walk for ALS 2010- Because We Can!

Not only was today a gorgeous day, but it was a special day in that I had the opportunity to participate in raising money and awareness in "Walk to Defeat ALS". Although our team was small consisting of myself, my mom, my dad, my aunt, and a past high school teacher we had in school, we were strong and walked the 3 miles that were part of today's walk.  It was a special day, sad in it's own way, but one that I know was important and I was glad to be a part of again. 


Each team had a little sign to carry around on a stick.  Of course, our's said "Team Nadermann".  Those of you who knew Ken would know that if he were sitting up above the bleachers like he did at last year's walk, he would tell me not to look like a dork and don't carry that sign around.....so I didn't.  The thought of him saying that made my mom and I laugh.....he wouldn't have said it directly, but I would have been able to read it in his eyes and "the look" we are all familiar with.  Brings a little smile to my face remembering "the look" we would all get from him.....although we didn't like getting "the look" at times, I'd do anything to have him here and giving me "the look" just one more time.....




The goal of today's walk was to raise $25,000 for ALS Association of Iowa.  Well......when we left the stadium where the walk was held, they were over $31,000 and still counting!!!!  Way to go Iowa!!!!  I posted a picture of my mom, my dad, and my aunt walking as well as the scoreboard at the Kernal's stadium saying "Walk to Defeat ALS....Because We Can!".  I am sure Ken was watching over us, and the many others who walked today.  Until next year's walk......because we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment