Monday, November 16, 2009

Heroes, Birthdays, and Special People




This week's post is all about the things we want to say but don't say enough, happy birthday wishes, and pulling together in times of need.

I think all of you share in my pride about my brother, Ken. Well last week with Veteran's day I wanted to get a post up of his Army "family" and let them know how much we all appreciate what they have done, some still doing, for our country. Just a little thank you (something I need to say more often). I dug through my pictures and found a picture of Ken and some of his Army buddies at a recent Army vs. Navy party. Now if you know Ken, he doesn't like Sara and I taking pictures of him, so I am sure he will be emailing me with a comment about putting his picture on my blog. Too bad Ken. I, along with many others, are so proud of you, and I want to thank you for being you, teaching my children about the priorities in life in your subtle ways yet helping them realize to dream big and go for those dreams, being the role model for all of us, excusing my "loans" from "Ken's bank" while I was in college, and opening the world to Sara and I by showing us what it was like to leave our safe home outside Colesburg and explore the world! And in connection to Veteran's day - thank you for serving our country! We love you lots! Thanks to the "Frogs" for also "adopting" Wayne into your troop. . . .maybe that should concern me a little. . .just kidding. He loves it!

Wayne's brother, Kevin, was also in the service so thank you also Kevin! I'd write more about you during that time Kevin, . . but that was before my time with Wayne. But we want to thank you too Kevin for serving our country! We love you too!

Next, happy birthday to Sara and Derek! I tried to find the oldest picture I had of both of you together , but I had too much fun looking and lost track of time so I took some that I could find. The kids are so excited to see the Broadway show "Grease" with you this weekend and spend some fun times with the Johnson family in Minneapolis! Sara - I hope we never get too old to act "too young" at concerts. :) Life is great! We hope both of you had great birthdays and special memories! We love you both!

Last, I want to share a heart felt story about a great friend and fellow classmate of Elyse's. His name is Andrew "Buzz" Miller, and his picture is above. The picture shows him getting his "leukemia kickin' umbilical cord blood" on November 7th. He is battling his 2nd round of leukemia after a bone marrow transplant in 2007 and now a stem cell transplant this past November. He is a fighter with a wonderful attitude, passion for life, and great guy all around. Anyway, his family is doing a "prayer map" in his hospital room as he is spending at least 100 days in a hospital in Minneapolis trying to build his immune system and kick those cancer cells. They have a "guestbook" where you can say who you are, where you live, how you found out about him (you can say through Elyse Kerian's family) and that you are praying for him. We, the Kerians, are asking you to send an extra prayer out for Andrew, aka Buzz, and send him a little special message. If you don't want to send a message, just let me know via email that you are praying for him and I will let him know. He has a "caring bridge" page that you can log onto and read his story, see pictures, and write him a message. Just go to "http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/buzzmiller". You need to sign in by giving your email and then making a password and that is it. You will read also about the "Beat it Buzz" activity and photo quest. If you would like to participate in the photo quest, we'd appreciate it. You can create your "Beat it Buzz" sign, send me the photo, and I will get it to the people in charge of that quest. This is a time when Buzz needs a lot of prayers and pull. He is a wonderful young man (was one of the boys here when Elyse had her sleep over a few weeks ago) and good friend to Elyse! So. . . take some time. . . .read his story.. . . and add to his prayer map. Thank you so much!

Here's a quote taken from someone who signed his quest book that I really loved and think it is fitting at this time: "You gain Strength, Courage and Confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do" - from Eleanor Roosevelt. Ken, our role model, and Buzz, our fighter, both are models of this. .

P.S. If you want a "Beat it Buzz" tshirt or rubber wrist band, and don't live in Cresco, let me know and I will get you one. It's neat to have pictures of people all around the US wearing them and showing their support for Buzz. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. hi. i'm anonymous. who am i

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous. i am your son. jk i am alex. hahahahahahahahahahahah.
    alex kerian

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

    ReplyDelete
  4. BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

    ReplyDelete